NEA: Statement of Intent

Statement of Intent

Image result for jorja smith clash cover

The brief for this project was to create a music magazine front cover and double page spread targeted towards 14 – 18 year olds (no gender was specified). I therefore conducted market and audience research to see what style of magazine my ideal audience would prefer.
I decided on the title ‘Vade’, after verbally experimenting with my peers over potential mastheads. After looking deeper into the word I found that the official meaning is ‘to fade or vanish’. This is suitable for my magazine, as I want my readers to have the ability to ‘vanish’ into their own world and get lost in my magazine.
My product is going to include an interview/feature article of my featured artist (double page spread). This will create better imagery for my reader allowing them to feel they are talking to the artist themselves. I will also include coverlines on my front cover linking to other artists in the genre of Hip Hop/R&B and/or UK Rap as from my audience research I found my audience prefer to read magazines based on the artists featured and genre.
I will use mise-en-scene to present the genre of my product clearly as I found my audience base what they read based on the genre presented. Therefore on my cover I will use clothing that is associated with my genre. I will use lighting that is not as vibrant but more relaxed communicating the message of unwinding – I may use natural light for this.                                                                                 
I want to use a natural background, not edited, so I can allow my audience to relate more to my product and artist.
As my artist is female I want to construct an accurate representation of females within my desired audience and genre. Through my market research I saw that female artists subvert stereotypes of how they dress. I will therefore use codes of dress, like casual clothing, to attract my audience to ideal artist they would listen to, as well as how their female peers may present themselves.
From my audience research I see that the most preferred genre is Hip Hop/R&B. This genre has prominent musicians who are known as idols of the genre (i.e. J.Cole, Rihanna), using this information I could include infamous clothing, props e.c.t on my artist, as a form of intertextuality.


Comments

Popular Posts